This is any technical help or knowledge provided by computing experts it may also refer to a team or department in a company or organization that provides technical help to people who have problems with its computer system.
It normally entails individuals who work in order to improve the technological part of an organization, that is, any computerized systems in the organization.
Role of IT Support
An IT support officer monitors and maintains computer systems and networks for an organization which involves installing and configuring computer systems, diagnosing hardware and software faults and solving technical and application problems. They also set up user’s account and profiles and also deal with password issues. All this is usually done over a phone call or in person
Though depending on the size of the company an IT officer’s role may span one or more areas of expertise.
An IT support job is usually open to all graduates and those with a HND or foundation degree have an added advantage.
Though there are some other subjects that may improve one’s chances of getting a job in this field such as:
- Business system Engineering
- Business Information Technology
- Computer Networking and Hardware
- Information Technology
- Computer Science
Due to the nature of work, one is expected to work shifts or to be on call and it may be necessary to work extra hours to finish a job.
Though working in shifts is the most used working routine used by most companies as it allows for the IT Support team to have breaks so as to relax their brains to ensure effective results and maximum output from them.
In order to maximize on output and ensure customer/company satisfaction. An IT Support expert should have the following skills:
- Problem solving
- Ability to think logically
- Ability to work as a team
- Excellent listening and questioning skills and also be able to interact confidently with clients
- Strong customer satisfaction
There are many IT specialist training companies that offer training facilities to individuals who have interest in IT support, this companies have to obtain approval from certain software and networking provider including but not limited to:
- Microsoft – Windows
- Cisco – Networking
- Oracle -Database
This training enable the individuals to target specific technologies and develop in- depth knowledge and expertise in those areas.
There are very many employers in the field of IT support specialists , this may include :
- Computer networking – responsible for installing configuring and maintaining computers in a large business
- Desktop support – direct user assistance
- Contract hardware maintenance – working for a business with contract to maintain and repair computer hardware
- Suppliers of vertical software applications – software applications for a specific business sector
IT Support is therefore a very striking career to partake, and very well paying if you get things done. Today, most youngsters think and plan of a career and future in IT support industry.